Monday, September 29, 2014

Cannot Be Tamed Gaming Questionnaire

I'm not sure, but I believe this is what I play Pong on for my first video game.
As if often the case, I'm way behind the times, but I saw a number of interesting answers to the 'Cannot Be Tamed' questionnaire, so I thought I'd finally add my answers to the mix.

1. When did you start playing video games?
I would guess I was in 4th or 5th grade, so 9 or 10 years old.
2. What is the first game you remember playing?
I think this is supposed to be the first video game based on the rest of the questions.  My father bought us a 'Pong' clone.  I know it had pong, a hockey game (with two paddles for each side) and a game where you just hit the 'ball' against the wall and had different levels, so I think it was the one pictured above.
3. PC or Console? 
PC almost exclusively.  I played a Playstation 2 and SNES some but I'm two generations behind now.  My children are getting old enough that they are playing on Nintendo 3DS now and I'm thinking about getting a Playstation 3 to play with them.
4. XBox, PlayStation, or Wii? 
Based on the answer above it's difficult to say.  I guess since I'm more likely to get a Playstation 3 than a Wii or XBox, I'll go with PlayStation.
5. What’s the best game you’ve ever played?
Civilization 2.  I played it over and over again and the improvements over the original Civilization were significant. 
6. What’s the worst game you’ve ever played?
I'm tend to forget things that are bad (even those that are good, too, sometimes).  I also never played tons of games, so I tend to look at reviews before I get them.  I'm sure I played some bad ones, but don't remember them now.
7. Name a game that was popular/critically adored that you just didn't like.
I've tried the Elderscroll games (at least Daggerfall and Morrowind, and maybe others) and never could get into them.
8. Name a game that was poorly received that you really like.
As stated above, I tend to be pretty picky about my games and don't play many that are poorly received.
9. What are your favourite game genres?
RPGs and turned-based 4X strategy games are the ones I've played the most.
10. Who is your favourite game protagonist?
I am going to steal my answers from someone else and say myself.  Typically in the games I play, I am the protagonist.
11. Describe your perfect video game.
It would both have an interesting story and have a lot of different ways to play it so I wouldn't get bored once the story is done.
12. What video game character do have you have a crush on?
I've had crushes on people in books, but never in a video game.
13. What game has the best music? 
I usually turn off the music to keep from disturbing my wife.  I know she will always remember the music from Warlords 2 and 3 because she still repeats it to me.
14. Most memorable moment in a game:
I still remember when I participated with my guild to kill Princess Huhuran for the first time.  I never was a core raider and this is one of the only times I helped in a first kill for our guild.
15. Scariest moment in a game:
I don't usually play scary games.  I guess you can qualify those situations in question 16.
16. Most heart-wrenching moment in a game:
There have been a couple of times when I've either wiped are almost wiped a raid.  It is an awful feeling even though my guild is generally kind.
17. What are your favourite websites/blogs about games?
I still use Wowhead a lot, but I enjoy reading blogs more than any official gaming site.  May I refer you to my blogroll to the right on my blog?
18. What’s the last game you finished? 
I just recently finished a game of Civilization V.
19. What future releases are you most excited about? 
I will probably eventually get Civilization Beyond Earth, but I'll wait until it goes a pretty good sale.  I played Alpha Centauri a lot.  (Do I sense a theme here?)
20. Do you identify as a gamer?
Yes, possibly more so since it has been pulled through the mud recently with Gamergate.  I think we need to make sure it is defined in a broad sense by those who enjoy playing video games and not by a small number who want to exclude others.
21. Why do you play video games? 
It something I can do either with myself or with others that I enjoy and gets my away from my real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment